[GnomeMeeting-list] netmeeting/gnomemeeting and GSM/instcodec.exe installation problems

Hi,

I am trying to get sound across my two machines,
one being a desktop PC running WindowsMe and
netmeeting
3.01, the other being my RH8.0 laptop running
gnomemeeting 0.96.1. I can get video through but
not the sound. I looked at the list of codecs for
gnomemeeting and I have quite a few but G.723.1 is
listed but not accessible. I do not fully understand
why this codec is unavailable but I am guessing it has
to do with the underlying sound card. G.723.1 is the
default codec on the netmeeting side. To solve the
problem I started looking on the web again. I found
some discussions on the same topic. People were
advised to switch both sides to the GSM codec.
Netmeeting does not have that codec by default. The
gnomemeeting web site is referring to a tool
(instcodec.exe) to install that codec. I followed the
instruction and fired up the tool from inside the
netmmeting directory. No GSM codec showed up. Looking
some more on the web,I found some postings saying that
in fact, instcodec.exe does not include the codec
itself but it somehow unlocks the file on the windows
distribution which contains this codec.  My failure to
activate this codec leads me to believe that I do not
have it on my hard disk. On the other hand,
instcodec.exe does not complain about not finding the
file.

My questions are:
   - what is the file containing that codec?
   - what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks.