[Fwd: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] General standard for text-chat and more...?]

FYI

-----Message transféré-----
From: Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>
To: supraexpress globaleyes net
Subject: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] General standard for text-chat and more...?
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 17:10:25 +0100

Le mar 09/12/2003 à 17:05, supraexpress globaleyes net a écrit :
> Why have Gnomemeeting if it won't support all of the desired functions in one
> package/suite? With regards to the answer below, perhaps Gnomemeeting should

It does...

> be renamed so it does not present the appearance of being a full blown
> vidio/audio conferencing tool.

It is a full blown video/audio conferencing tool.

> I, for one, would like to see Gnomemeeting "step up to the plate" and add
> T.120 chat plus 'whiteboard' capability.

T.120 is not for audio/videoconferencing, it is for data-conferencing.
GnomeMeeting is videoconferencing / VoIP oriented and thus doesn't
implement the data part of the collaborative tools. Moreover, the
whiteboard functionality is patented and Microsoft just lost a 56
millions dollars lawsuit against the company that had patented the
whiteboard feature for having included it in Netmeeting.

Notice that the software is Open Source and that you are free to
implement everything you like and contribute it in the form of patches.

> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomemeeting-list/2002-April/msg00062.html
> Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] General standard for text-chat and more...?
>
>     * From: Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>
>     * To: gnomemeeting-list gnome org
>     * Subject: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] General standard for text-chat and more...?
>     * Date: 12 Apr 2002 14:35:39 +0200
>
> Le ven 12/04/2002 à 14:05, Kilian Krause a écrit :
> > Hi Hakon,
> >
> > NM uses T.120 for text-chat.. and this is not supported by GM..
>
> Hi!
>
> I would like to add that it will probably never be supported because
> there are other tools that can achieve the same purpose available both
> under Linux and Windows. So why reinvent the wheel? ;)
>

> > --
> > Best regards,
> >  Kilian
(o-