Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Duplex Problem

Le mer 23/04/2003 à 11:10, Holden Hao a écrit :
> Hi All.
>
> I have a problem with Gnomemeeting .96.1 on RedHat 8.0 using the nforce2 audio drivers from Nvidia.  During the audio test, the wizard says that it can open but can not write to /dev/dsp (when playback of the recorded test audio should be playing already).  I fiend this weird because when i did "dd if=/dev/dsp of=/dev/dsp" I can hear myslef talk after about 3 seconds of delay.

The druid audio delay is artificial, it records, and then starts to play
after a few seconds of delay so that the user do not confuse the the
software playback with the electronic playback of the soundcard.

If you use dd or cat, the playback must not be delayed at all, if it is
delayed, then it is because of a full-duplex problem, recording and
playing can't occur at the same time.

> Any ideas on what could be the problem?  Is anybody here using nforce2 audio chipset with Nvidia drivers?  Should I use Alsa instead?

I would use ALSA, yes. ALSA will be the new sound architecture in the
next kernel anyway, so you don't loose your time if you learn ALSA now
:)