From: "Ralph F. De Witt" <ralphdewitt charter net>
To: gnomemeeting-list gnome org
CC: yochanon yahoo com
Subject: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] philips camera ..
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:14:08 -0800

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:03:44 -0800 (PST)
John Berger <yochanon yahoo com> wrote:

> --- o Snoopy <o_snoopy hotmail com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I just installed the MAndrake 9.1. I have a philips camera i can't
> > use with gnomemeeting.
> >
> > The problem is a known problem but i can't find the solution ..
> > At the initialisation of the web cam, i have the error message about
> > the YUV420P problem ....
> >
> > must i modify source code of gnomemeeting ?
> >
> > Excuse me in advance if the solution already been sended
> > and thanks for answers.
> >
> > Great regards
> >
> > Olivier
>
>   Just go here as Damien pointed out
> <http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/release.html#pwcx> and install it per
> the instructions in the extracted directory of the tarball. It'll tell
> you where to place the pwcx-i386 file in your system. Once you have it
> where it belongs, I open a console, su to root, and type:
>
>  insmod -f pwcx-i386
>
> This will force the module into the kernel (don't worry if it
> complains with something like 'will taint the kernel', so long as you
> *also* see 'module forced' you'll be good to go). This latest upgrade
> 0.26.2 (IIRR), fixes the YUV thing.
>
>   John

John:
I do not mean to argue but in my case this was not the problem and fix.
I am running a 2.4.20 kernel and the latest pwc module 8.10, I also had
PWCX 8.2 or what ever is the latest of the decompressor module. I use a
logitech Quickcam 4000 pro. I believe my distro is using gnomemeeting
0.96 and ran into the same problem. PWC and PWCX are loaded at boot
time. There is a incompatibility that is introduced by the pwc module. I
was informed that there is patch for this in gnomemeeting-cvs. I had a
very kind developer on my distro backport it to the gnomemeeting we are
using and the problem went away. This is what worked for me.

Ralph