Re: [Fwd: RE: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] questions on compiling gnomemeeting 0.93]

Damien Sandras wrote:

RE: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] questions on compiling gnomemeeting 0.93
From:
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>
Date:
20 Nov 2002 13:08:18 +0100
To:
³Â¶¬Ã· <faithdongmei sina com>

Le mer 20/11/2002 à 12:55, ³Â¶¬Ã· a écrit :
if i only update the kernel to 8.0 and still  keep the kernel 7.2 , can gnomemeeting 0.94 be installed ?
thanks.

I don't understand your question. The latest kernel is 2.4.19. I guess
you are talking about Redhat, but what do you mean?
If you can partly upgrade your redhat 7.3 to redhat 8?
I don't know if it is possible with RedHat. I know it is piece of cake
to do such things with Debian, but I have no idea about RedHat.

I think that you can download the CD of the RedHat 8.0 and choose to
upgrade your current installation to 8.0 without loosing it. I think it
is possible, and I think it is safe to do it.

I'm cc'ing the ml, so that people with good/bad experiences about that
can report it.

You can get the apt-rpm and update RedHat in the same way you update Debian.

From what I have seen, if you only install rpm's and do not install from tarballs, an upgrade from the CD's will work well. If you HAVE installed apps and compiled them, you may have some incompatible files left on the system that would have been upgraded through rpm. In this case it's better to just do a backup, then do a fresh install.