Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Static

On 22 Mar 2002, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Please, don't take this as an attack to some linux distros, I really
> > like some of them (/me avoids to write redhat), but I miss this
> > capability of them. Please, correct me if they have this working
> > properly, as I would really like to know.
>
> I think that there is now an apt-get for Redhat,

up2date (the one supported by Red Hat), but also urpmi, apt-rpm etc. can
be used.

> but I don't know if packages are up to date. Probably if they are using
> rawhide, but I don't know. Mandrake has a similar system for Cooker,
> called urpmi, my colleague is using it as I'm using apt-get.

up2date by default fetches the latest supported Red Hat packages. Note the
"supported". But it's an open architecture, nothing is stopping anyone
from having their own or using their own up2date server, and in fact there
are some projects that do.

> I think that updating a current distribution from the Install CD works
> now pretty well and without any risk. It was not the case when I began
> to use redhat with Redhat 4.2.

It has always worked for me (starting from 5.1).

> I can also be completely wrong in what I say, as I don't use it myself,
> I'm using a debian that I didn't reinstall since 2.5 years, but believe
> me, it is up to date :) I'm simply too lazy to reinstall regularly my
> system.

Updating the entire distro is also possible with up2date.

So, can we please avoid the unfactual distrowars trolling?

Christian