Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Newbie looking for clarification (how all this VOIP ties together)

Le lun 16/12/2002 à 04:34, Brian Johnson a écrit :
> Hi, just new to VOIP and found gnomemeeting - turns out I've had it for a while on
> my distro's CD and didn't even know it
>

> Anyway, my general understanding is that I can establish two way VOIP calling with
> gnomemeeting through my DSL connection.  With the addition of some software, I can
> create a private directory to map users to dynamic IP addresses.

Using either an ILS directory, or better, an H323 Gatekeeper.

> Also, additional software and hardware (like the Quicknet phonejack) will allow me
> to replace my soundcard, speaker, and mic system with a telephone handset

Right :)

> With other hardware (like the Quicknet linejack) and other software I can actually
> bridge between the IP and regular phone line systems

Yes, and you can also use external services providers.

> I have a couple of questions that will help me as I try to plan ahead:
> - how practical is it to use a VOIP phone system inside a one storey, one location
> office? (I'd need an interface card of some type for each phone extension and each
> line coming in right?)

Yes I think so too, but I'm not an expert in gateways. However, you can
try ISDN to H.323 gateways like this one :
http://www.telos.de/linux/H323/default_e.htm
but better ask on their mailing list for gateway related information.

> - are the VOIP phones essentially the same type of system as a analog phone plugged
> into a phonejack card?

Yes, it is essentially a well-integrated VOIP hardware system.

> - is there a system for linux that could tie in with VOIP to let others on the
> system know when someone has logged in (like MSN Messenger for instance)

I don't think so. When someone logs in, the MSN server sends a message,
but with ILS and gatekeepers, you can't do that.

> Also, could someone point me towards a current howto for setting up some of the
> more advanced features (while sticking to my soundcard and headset system for now)

Perhaps try to find on google "Linux VOIP Howto", this Howto is not very
complete yet, but it is a good start.
--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\	FOSDEM 2003:  http://www.fosdem.org