Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] quiet audio

Since you now have alsa, you should have also gotten
alsa-utils-0.9.0beta12, which will include a utility called amixer
(this is a command line program).  If you have only one audio
card, enter:

amixer contents

to get a listing of controls available on your card and their current
settings.   The one you are looking for is something like this on my
system:

numid=13,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Boost (+20dB)'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=1
  : values=off

I then enter:

amixer cset numid=13 on

to turn on the mic boost.  gmix doesn't have any control for this,
but on certain sound card, microphone and people combinations
it is essential in order to get any decent sound level.

If you knew all of this before hand, then perhaps this is a useful
tutorial for someone else.  I haven't found it anywhere else in
the mailing list, so I thought I would write up at least a sound
card specific example myself.  In another life I did audio code
in MS Windows for a now defunct internet telephony company.
Making our client application capable of controlling Mic Boost in
that evironment was a mess because it was sound card driver
specific and many manufacturers did it differently, but having the
capability was absolutely necessary for good quality voice in
many cases.

Hope this helps,

Art