[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Gnomemeeting not running over the net...

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 03:42, Hugh Daniel wrote:

> Mark:  NEEDINFO
>
>   First there is no address to send bugs to listed in gnomemeetings
> about box nor on it's bugs web page...so I am sending this to the one

I read on : http://www.gnomemeeting.org/bugs.php

"You can report bugs or problems and suggest new features for
GnomeMeeting by going to:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gnomemeeting";

And there is also a mailing list.

> address that seems to show up most (in the about box...).
>
>   Having an email form for bug submission would be a good idea.
>
>   It seems that your laking a man page, one of the most critical
> things a Unix application nees, though I do understand that MS and
> MS-Gnu style software does not need such yucky things... :r)

I'm not sure any GUI has a man-page, but GnomeMeeting is a work in
progress. If you want to contribute a manpage for us, please let's go.

>   Next this error message and it's follow on shows that the system
> does not work over the net at all (I am on ahost, I am trying to run
> gnomemeeting on bhost that has a QuickNet card but non-functional
> video):
>
> bhost$ gnomemeeting -d
> GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server (a likely cause of this is that you have an existing configuration server (gconfd) running, but it isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from two machines at once, you may need to enable TCP networking for ORBit)
>
> GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server (a likely cause of this is that you have an existing configuration server (gconfd) running, but it isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from two machines at once, you may need to enable TCP networking for ORBit)
>
> bhost$ man gconfd
> No manual entry for gconfd
> bhost$ man -k gconfd
> gconfd: nothing appropriate
> bhost$ man -k orbit
> grav                 (1)  - draws a simple orbital simulation
> bhost$ man gnomemeeting
> No manual entry for gnomemeeting
> bhost$

GnomeMeeting doesn't run yet with Quicknet.
But anyway, I see that your problem is a Gnome problem related to the
GConf program. Your idea seems to be to contact a GConf server running
on another host or something like that. So your problem is not related
to GnomeMeeting directly but to your Gnome installation from your linux
distribution.

I can suggest you to contact directly the maintainer or the mailing list
of GConf to know how to enable it to run accross the network.

Look at : http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/

If you find the solution to your "accross the network" GConf problem,
try to contribute it to the GnomeMeeting mailing list. It could be
interesting for people.

>   There seems no reasonable for a mear human with over 20 years of
> Unix experience to get gconf services to gnomeeting nor ANY doc on the
> ORBit stuff.  This system is way too brittle.  Guess I go back to
> buying a MS-Windog machine for each of my folks and a MS-Windows
> laptop for while we are on the road...

I wonder why you are so aggressive/sarcastic with me. If you want to buy
a Windows laptop, please do it. It is not my problem! The fact that you
are unable to read a webpage and to find the Gnome bug tracking system
on it, or the mailing list, can explain why you didn't find
documentation about GConf or can explain that you got aggressive toward
me for a problem that is not related to GnomeMeeting, but to
GConf/ORBit. You are complaining about something that is not related to
GnomeMeeting itself. So please be aggressive with every person that you
want but not with me.
At the same time, it will be better for the image of the FreeSWAN
project.

>   Question, are any of the core developers still in Europe?  I will be
> there for the next six weeks (doing a talk at SANE, another at RIPE
> and where ever I can publicly speak on FreeS/WAN & crypto) and would
> love to talk about VoIP things (I _do_ keep trying to use it,
> really!).

Yes they are.

>   Keep at it...
>
> 		||ugh Daniel
> 		hugh freeswan org
>
> 			Systems Testing & Project mis-Management
> 			The Linux FreeS/WAN Project
> 			http://www.freeswan.org
>
> P.S.:  You getting this as an epostcard rather then email as when I
> 	went looking in the only obvious place I did not find a PGP2
> 	key for you:
>
> $ finger dsandras seconix com
> finger: unknown host: seconix.com

It is a MX-Record, no need to be an expert to discover that.

--
  _
 (o-      SANDRAS Damien