Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] how to support another capture card? (WAS: experience with the V4L1 compatibility of V4L2)

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 09:46:25AM -0700, Guilhem Tardy wrote:
> I added grabber->SetFrameSize(width, height) in videograbber.cpp, and got to
> the bottom of this:

You shouldn't have added that method, but used SetFrameSizeConverter
and add a HINT in video4linux.cxx for your card to force the size.
That way, VerifyHardwareFrameSize will ignore the problem and it will work.

> Since the Videum card doesn't support 352x288 (but still advertises 640x288 as
> maximum frame size), it fall backs on 352x240 (same behavious with 'vctrl'),
> and VideoInputDevice::VerifyHardwareFrameSize() doesn't like it at all.
>
> I am a bit confused with the logic here, because
> VideoInputDevice::SetFrameSize() first sets the size internally, then verifies
> hardware that returns FALSE (at this point, the card is set with 352x240, and
> internally to PWLib with 352x288, no converter is configured).
>
> So now, my question is: does the PWLib library behave so by design? Should we
> address this in PWLib or work around it in the application (e.g. GnomeMeeting)?

You have to add a HINT in PWLib. That works this way because all Video4Linux
drivers do not respect the API. So you set a HINT, to force the required size for your specific driver, and then it will work.