Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] General standard for text-chat and more...?

Le ven 12/04/2002 à 16:04, Hakon Gunsen a écrit :
> * From: Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>
>     * Date: 12 Apr 2002 14:35:39 +0200
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I would like to add that it will probably never be supported because
> > there are other tools that can achieve the same purpose available both
> > under Linux and Windows. So why reinvent the wheel? ;)
>
> Hmm... I didn't understand fully. What kind of tools? Libraries?

VNC for example can do app sharing between Windows and Linux, and you
can use IRC, ICQ, Jabber for text chat between GM and NM.

> That T.120, isn't that available for Linux?

Not yet, perhaps in the future, but there are no free implementation
available yet. So integrating it into GM would be still more difficult
than if there was a free implementation.

> Is it Microsoft's own thing?

No, it is an ITU standard, but I think it is loosing its sense
currently.

> What protocol does GM use then? Is it also a public protocol, or is a stricly GM-to-GM thing?

GM uses only H.323. For simulating Text Chat, GM is sending DTMF
charachters in the H.225 Call Signalling Channel. GM is able to
recognize that and use it as "Text chat", NM simply ignores them.
So it is not a protocol defined for GM, I'm simply using the normal
H.225 channel and protocol, no standard is broken here :)

> Does it not seem like GM users and NetMeeting users will be able to text-chat in the near future then?

No, but I think that it makes no sense to use GM for text chat only :)