Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Philips ToUCam Pro and kernel 2.4.17

Hi Titanicus,

T> I read the FAQ's, I think I have to put something in /etc/modules.conf,
T> maybe
T> alias char-major-xyz  pwc
T> but don't know if it's right or wrong, and which numbers are those
T> 'xyz'...

i've no idea what the Philips Webcam is using for driver, but in general you will have it mostly done when your /dev/video0 pictures show up in xawtv (you might want to try that first to be sure it's no GM problem)

anyway, the major and minor numbers are explained in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt

each section starts with the number of its major index..
then follow the minor indices..
/dev/video0 should be major 81 and the first device is 0. This is in fact correct with your setup (as your ls -l /dev/video0 proves). i wonder a little why char-major-81 reads videodev in your setup... (that's where you suppose it should read pwc).

as reads Documentation/usb/philips.txt:
the main website is http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam

for a fast test you can try to just 'modprobe pwc' and see if it works.. i guess this should do the trick, but for any further installation FAQ i would advise you to see the above website for help.. =)

--
Best regards,
 Kilian