Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Can't get GM to send anything at all

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 06:50:02PM -0800, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> I am trying to get GnomeMeeting working, and I really can't get it to do
> anything.  I have two Debian unstable machines, one PC with emu10k1, and
> one powerbook with built-in sound.  I am only trying to send sound right
> now.  However, nothing is working :(
>
> I can call one machine from the other and make a connection.  But, I can't
> get sound to travel either way.  I can get either machine to send a lot of
> packets, but no sound ever comes out at the other end.  I've fiddled with
> the microphone gains, the speaker gains, and so forth.  I even put in a CD
> and played *that* as the recording source, but still I did not get any
> sound to pass between my computers.
>
> At various intervals the client will say "Couldn't find audio channel" or
> some such, and then I have to delete .gnome/gnomemeeting to make it shut
> up.

Well, this is not needed to delete .gnome/gnomemeeting you know.
It happens when you play to enable or disable the silence detection and that
it can't find any audio channel. Are you sure to have enabled common codecs
between the two endpoints ? That means that something is really broken
in your linux configuration.

Well, here are the usual questions from the FAQ, and from this mailing list :
- Have you firewall rules on your machine ?
- Are you running ALSA ?

You can also test : cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp
What is the result?

> Oftentimes, there's plenty of sound data to send, but one side or the
> other won't send packets at all.  Sometimes, even when the recording
> device is OFF and the silence detection is ON, gnomemeeting sends a
> continuous stream of packets, which seems really wasteful.

It is weird.

> Erm, any hints?

See above.