Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] RPMS again

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 07:19, Damien Sandras wrote:
> It seems that Paul Ashton found why the RPMs are not working.
>
> If you compile GnomeMeeting with the -march=i383 -mcpu=i686 flags using
> gcc 2.96, it products a corrupted binary.

	As a good portability issue, this is a bad idea anyway, you probably
should always compile your binary distributions as i386 unless you are
doing a lot of optimizations for the Pentium Pro/Pentium II/Above
processors.  Most like you aren't and the software will run fine on a
386.  Some things that talk directly to the processor (like the kernel)
benefit greatly by these optimizations but this leads to needing to
distribute several binary versions of the same thing (check out the
number of kernel RPMS on RedHat's ftp server.)  Distributiong a binary
with mcpu=i386 will of course run on anything intel.

	I'm sorry I didn't see the thread sooner.  I just fought this very same
battle with another peice of software I was trying to get installed.  Of
course building the binary myself worked just fine.  But, installing the
one distributed on the website wouldn't work.  Turned out to be the same
issue.

	As an aside, if you will send me the SPEC for the RPM Paul, I'll
recompile on RedHat 7.1 and submit the binary for people to use, since
if I remember correctly, you're building on 7.2 and people were having
problems with the RPM.

Chris Tooley

> gcc 2.95.4 (Debian) works fine, or replacing -mcpu=i686 by -mcpu=i386
> with gcc 2.96 works fine.

You have officially been bitten by the RedHat gcc bug that everyone was
bitching about. :)

Chris