[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] X-Video Support

Hello,
having implemented a class that provides X-Video support I would to raise some questions in
connection with ekiga. My class makes use of the X-Video extension available by some graphics
adaptor drivers and provides:

- hardware colorspace transformation (YUV->RGB)
- hardware scaling
- hardware antialiasing
- aspect ratio correction (for not having ?broad faces? on widescreen monitors)

Not only is it possible to decrease CPU load but also improve the picture quality. Also it is my
belief that a certain resolution and framerate hardware acceleration cannot be avoided (according
to the wiki there is work on large size video transmission, so I this would be very interesting
for version 2.2)

My class is initialized with some initial values (e.g. frame resolution, initial window size, etc)
and is handed a pointer to the frame to be displayed. A fullscreen and always-on-top mode exist.
Since I use/plan to use this class in other projects as well I would prefer a kind of wrapper for
integration for ekiga

I would like to ask if  such an extension would be accepted.

As I understand the flow of video data, I would have to define a new PVideoOutputDevice like in
videooutput.cpp and then do some modifications to main.cpp (where the actual drawing is performed
at the moment if I understand correctly) Then I would have to register the new output device in
manager.cpp with OPAL?

About compatibility issues, my idea was to be able to enable and disable the extension at compile
time (like sdl). At runtime 2 possibilities come to my mind:
- enable and disable per configuration dialogue
- automatic with fallback (in case no XV port is currently available)

In case I missed some important aspect about the architecture feel free to comment.

Thanks in advance
Matthias