[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] GnomeMeeting Modifications

Greetings,

I am a graduate student at the University of Illinois.  I'm involved in
a project which will investigate difficulties in interacting on cell
phones.  We would like to use GnomeMeeting (or something like it) to
simulate cell phone conversations between a subject and experimenter.

Our wish list:

1)  Control the gain between each users microphone and their own ear as
well as the ear of the remote listener.

2)  Introduce noise (or whatever we wish to introduce) and convolution
(frequency distortion) to either person's ear or both persons ears.
Also introduce dropouts.

3)  Select a speech coder of our choice (ie GSM or CELP, I see that
various GSM coders are included in the plugins).

4)  Guarantee that the "jitter" is within a certain range, maybe 10 ms
(provided a good network connection).

5)  Record the conversations between the users.

I understand that I will need to modify the source code to accomplish
items 1,2,4.  I assume there is some buffer that is filled before the
audio data is sent to the coder (GSM, etc), and that I can perform the
said modifications to the signal at that point.  Can you tell me what
source files interact with the coder and the audio (ALSA, etc) driver?

Also, are there any docs that exist about the source code that aren't in
the source code package (gnomemeeting-1.2.2.tar.gz, etc)?

Other questions:

Is there a nice way to turn off transmission of video?  My "turn of the
video button" is grayed out.

Does GnomeMeeting provide the capability to record the conversation
without changing the source code?  And if so, is there a nice way to
time-stamp it?

Furthermore, do you think it would be worth putting together a patch for
GnomeMeeting so others who want to do experiments of this type will have
this tool available to me?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Bryce Lobdell