Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Dbus' future in gnomemeeting

Hi Damien,

Am Sonntag, den 09.10.2005, 23:03 +0200 schrieb Damien Sandras:
> > 2 States
> >
> > 2.1 Call states - how can a call look like
> >
> >   CSTATE_CALLING
> >
> > A call has this state, when an outgoing connection attempt is made.
> >
> >   CSTATE_RING
> >
> > This state indicates that this client gets a connection attempt from
> > outside.
> >
> >   CSTATE_ESTABLISHED
> >

> There is also an additional calling state defined as an ENUM in GM :
> "CALLED".

...which is identical to "RING" from the above list, right? ;)
Or is this about "i was called" in which case it'd be MISSEDCALLS.

> > The connection reaches this state either out of CSTATE_CALLING or
> > CSTATE_RING.
> >
> >   CSTATE_PAUSING
> >
> > Indicates that the client is trying to bring the connection to into
> > CSTATE_PAUSED.
> >

> What's a "PAUSED" connection? A connection on hold? Let's name it
> "CSTATE_HOLD" in that case.
>
> You can also have Audio & Video media streams which could be paused.

That's the case, imagine that you have stopped the logical channels,
then that call is effective "on hold". That was the idea.

> >   CSTATE_PAUSED
> >
> > Reached after a successful CSTATE_PAUSING operation.
> >
> >   CSTATE_RESUMING
> >
> > The client tries to bring the connection out of CSTATE_PAUSED.
> >
> >   CSTATE_CLOSING
> >
> > The client brings the connection down to CSTATE_UNCONNECTED.
> >
> >   CSTATE_TRANSFERING
> >
> > The call is being transferred to another client.
> >

> Personally, I wouldn't reflect the "Resuming, pausing, closing,
> transfering" states.
>
> I think it is probably too complex and too few useful, and they are in
> general very short in time.

It was meant for stuff like blind transfer where you have to wait quite
some time before implicitely considering things went wrong.

> >   CSTATE_MUTEDUSER
> >
> > This call is put on mute mode within the conference upon moderator
> > request.
>
> H.323 and SIP do not allow this.

It doesn't matter if H.323 or SIP allow for this. We can always throw
away it locally. Think of it as an application feature. And can't we ask
to cut off a logical channel temporarily due to congestion?

> >   CSTATE_BACKGROUND
> >
> > The local client is no longer actively involved in the current
> > conference. Also applies to attended transfer with proxy mode.
> >

> Same here.

Same here. As long as we don't process the data actively with the sound
card, the application effect is that the call is backgrounded.

> >   CSTATE_ECHOMODE
> >
> > Allow for echo testing like with OpenMCU.
> >

> I don't think GM will have an echo mode soon.

It was meant to scale as you have correctly spotted. ;)

> >   CSTATE_CONFJOINING
> >
> > The client tries to join a conference with this call at the moment.
> >

> H.323 and SIP do not define such a thing.

MCU mode can be an application feature as with OpenMCU. For sure the
mixing isn't done in the protocol, why should it?

> >   CSTATE_CONFJOINED
> >
> > This call is part of a conference.
> >

> Same here.

Same here. It's up to the application (and conference manager) to define
what parameters apply for MCU conferences.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian