Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] selecting output device - bug?

Hello,

I have an USB headset, and I do not have your problem.

To make sure that the problem is not related to NAT (which I'm 99% sure
it is), can't you try calling another GM instance on another computer on
the LAN?

Le vendredi 25 novembre 2005 à 11:04 +0100, Gour a écrit :
> Hello GM devs!
>
> Let me 1st express my thankfullness for your work on Gnomemeeting.
>
> I am very happy that after switching from kde to gnome I've found out such a
> great native program for VoIP.
>
> So, after 'discovering GM, I went and buy Logitech USB 350 headset in
> order to use them in companion with GM.
>
> However, soon I discovered that people can hear me, although I cannot
> hear them and in the beginning I thought there must be some problem with
> my hardware router and it firewall forwarding ports to my Gentoo box.
> Then I was looking at the settings on shorewall which runs on my box,
> until I discovered that the problem is the GM does cannot use headset as
> my output...
>
> Here are the details of the setup:
>
> 1) I have onboard sound card:
>
> gaura-nitai ~ # lspci | grep audio
> 0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
>
> which works in ALSA with the intel8x0 driver
>
> 2)  cat /proc/asound/cards gives:
>
> USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
>
> for my headset.
>

> After testing all kinds of combinations (Johnny also helped me on #irc),
> the conclusion is that GM can use only 'default' sound device as output,
> no matter what is selected in GM's preferences.
>
> Let's take a look at different combinations¹...
>
> ¹ here I'll focus only on output device 'cause it seems that Input
> device & Ring output device are working, i.e. selected properly
>

> a) nVidia is default sound device
>
> ALSA setup:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
>
> GM setup:
>
>   I) Output device: Logitech USB headset
>
> 	 i) druid test -- OK, i.e. I can hear myself and msg is played back
>
> 	ii) h323.voxgratia.org test-system
> 		ring-tone is heard in the headset, but immediately after
> 		establishing contact, both sliders (output/input) drop to zero
> 		and no sound in the headset; after disconnect, I hear sound in
> 		the headset
>
>  II) Output device: NVidia CK8S
>
> 	i) druid test
> 		Immediately after performing test I) and selecting NVidia
> 		device, GM reports that it cannot open selected device
> 		for playing, advising to check setup, perms...device is
> 		not 'released' and test cannot be performed
>
> 	ii) h323.voxgratia.org test-system
> 		ring-tone is heard in the speakers, as well as the voice
> 		from the test-system, and mic on the headset can be used
> 		as input
>
>  III) Output device: Default
>
>  	i) druid test
> 		I can record msg by using mic and the message is played
> 		back through speaker -- interesting in comparison with the
> 		II)-i) test!
>
> 	ii) h323.voxgratia.org test-system
> 		The same result as under II).
>

> Now let's try by another setup - swapping the sound cards...
>
> a) Logitech USB headset is default sound device
>
> ALSA setup:

> [...]
v_/_    SIP Phone   : sip:dsandras gnomemeeting net
                      sip:600000 gnomemeeting net