[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: opal-gnomemeeting

Le mercredi 18 mai 2005 à 02:15 +0300, Mikko Lehtisalo a écrit :
> I just installed the cvs version out of curiosity. Couple tiny comments.

ok :)

> As an ordinary Average Joe user, what is my sip: address? With some other

For now just your IP address. However, you can already signup for a SIP
account on freeworlddialup.com. When GM will be ready to be released,
seconix.com will serve as a SIP registrar and should allow you to get a
SIP address of the form "sip:furryball sip seconix com"

> applications I just told the application that I am Furryball and that my host
> is xxx and others could automatically connect me with sip:furryball xxx  (Ok,
> obviously there are situations where that majorly breaks but..) How should I

Others can already do that here, but that is far to be optimal, as
others would have to know your IP address.

> configure it if I couldn't care less about any online registry service (!)
> and wanted it just to work? Umm.. Needs a more for-dummies approach imho
> there!

Just the IP is enough.

> Other than that, the version seems quite nice already though a lot is still
> missing. Was that "Ring Output Device" setting there earlier? That's a good
> one.. (Can't hear the headset as well as the main speakers from afar..)

Yes, that was in 1.2.x iirc.

> Hopefully the final version will support arbitrary video sizes like 640x480?

I don't think so.

> Why is the maximum bandwidth limit at only 100kB/s? Is the used video codec

Is your upload superior to 800kbits/s ?

> (or some other technical detail) just so hopeless that one should forget
> about getting a better picture?
>
> In the long term:
>
> Do you know wether it would be easy or hard to add a feature to hold a
> conference call? (Yes, I know that openMCU exists.. But it's for H323 [which
> is getting obsolete fast it seems] and it's not a gui clickety click
> solution.)

I'm not sure about that one either. That would be hard, certainly, and
most users do not have a poweful connection enough to allow that anyway.

> Document sharing? I don't mean displaying anything or alike.. Just a drag&drop
> area and a simple file transfer thingy so that the other end can drag&drop
> the file as well..

I don't think it will happen either.

> Yes, I know.. The resources are very limited and it's mostly just a hobby.. So
> whining is futile. Gnomemeeting seems to be the best of the breed at this
> moment anyways.

Yes, the best way to help is to implement the features you need and
contribute them as a patch. Current focus is getting SIP ready, once it
will be done, I'm open to all suggestions.