Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: Network interface resets when offline

Julien PUYDT a écrit :
You just successfully doubled the number of preferences in gnomemeeting...

I just gave it some more thought, and may have an idea. A clever hack but still a hack.

Gnomemeeting doesn't make calls to gconf directly. It has its own abstracted configuration system, which then calls gconf (or a custom-made glib system when compiled without gnome).

Now, let's imagine we add a cache to the configuration system. When we read, we check in the cache, and if not found, search in the backend. When we write, we either:
1) are serious about the setting:
- throw what's in the cache about that setting ;
- write the setting in the backend
2) consider that as we're fallbacking, we don't want the new value to be engraved in the preferences: - put it in the cache, thus hiding the user-defined setting for that session.

Basically, in addition to the "set_<whatever type>" calls the abstracted configuration system would provide "set_session_<whatever type>" calls.

We would use the "set_<whatever type>" when the setting is given by the user (hence important), and "set_session_<whatever type>" when we have detected some problem in the preference, and want to auto-correct it without losing what the user chose.

It shouldn't be too hard to do, and wouldn't need more keys as the previously proposed solution.

Any taker?