[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: Remove GnomeMeeting from Gnome module list?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:27:49 +0100, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

> > I was however unable to make a release for GNOME 2.6 as I had not enough
> > time, but 1.0.2 was available for GNOME 2.6, so I don't see the problem.
>
> Yes, we don't try to force people to implement features sooner than they
> can.
>
> Has there been a lack of stable releases, meaning that translators' work
> is not released on time? If so, that would be an issue, but one that
> could be easily solved.

If I recall correctly (I can't check to verify because it appears that
some of the archives of the release-team emails are missing--neither
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/private/release-team/ nor
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/ show emails from before
October), there was a communication disconnect at one point in that
Damien knew that a newer version of GnomeMeeting wouldn't be ready in
time but was unaware of the need to notify i18n that an older version
would be used for the upcoming official Gnome release.  (This was one
of the things that prompted adding the reminder at the bottom of
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.9/).  That was fixed when it was
discovered, but may have been part of the prompting issue.

Perhaps to avoid similar communication disconnects, it may be useful
to put together a page describing what is expected of modules in each
of the release sets.  Part of this information is available (API/ABI
rules for developer platform and bindings release sets, meaning of
freezes and how to request an exception), but not in a single location
(one page that has some of the info is geared towards "what the
release team needs to do", which maintainers might ignore not
realizing part of the info really is for them), and also has important
things missing (e.g. what to do if a certain version of your module
won't be ready in time (as happened with yelp and gnomemeeting
recently), and what dependencies you are allowed to have (to make the
pygtk thing clear for desktop modules; maybe also to discuss
conditional dependencies), and perhaps other things that aren't
occurring to me at the moment).  Would such a thing be useful to
others?

Cheers,
Elijah