Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] GnomeMeeting 2.0 Promotion/Marketing (was: Interest for GM 2.00)

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 02:51:53PM +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le jeudi 01 décembre 2005 à 14:11 +0100, CJ van den Berg a écrit :
> >
> > 4. Change the name!
> >
> > I know it's difficulty and no-one really wants to go through the
> > hassle, but GnomeMeeting *really* needs a better name. NetMeeting is
> > dead (at least in the public mind) and GnomeMeeting is *not* just a
> > clone anyway. The -Meeting name really associates the project too much
> > with video conferencing which is a niche application (at least compared
> > to VoIP) and will always stay that way. Simple is good though too, so I
> > would suggest something simple and catchy that says *exactly* what GM
> > does/is. For example, GnomePhone, GnomeVoice, GnomeTalk, etc.
> >
> > If you really want to keep a strong association to the GnomeMeeting
> > name perhaps condensing it and adding a suffix or prefix might work too.
> > For example, GM-Voice, GM-Talk, VoIP-GM, etc.
>
> I'm not sure about this one. On one hand I agree, on the other hand I
> fear losing some popularity and most of all, I haven't found a good name
> to replace GM yet. I planned to add "NG" to the name, to clarify that it
> is GnomeMeeting Next Generation.

You have a point there. Besides popularity, changing the name also
implicitly infers that GM 2.0 does not directly/completely replace GM
1.2 and that distributions should ship both, which is probably the wrong
message.

> Also, GAIM is more than an AIM client, and people know it. It is the
> same with GM.

At least GAIM has IM in it's name. "Meeting" just doesn't have any kind
of word association with "telephone".

> But I agree, really.

It's definitely a tricky problem.

--