[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] SIP and proxies

Hi,

I really like GnomeMeeting, it is really usable and standards-compliant: a big thank to the developers.

I have a minor irritation with it though, that turns out to be a major one for many of my friends and family, and that make them use alternative VoIP softwares: the firewall/proxy problem -- the inability in too many circumstances to establish proper connection with someone behind some firewall, or a NAT (either hardware or software) or some sort of proxy.

Of course, almost all those situations can be sorted out with a bit of configuration, but I have the feeling that a big sell point of skype, for instance, is that it just work out of the box in all cases.

GnomeMeeting already has STUN for diagnostic, but wouldn't it be nice if It could just use some third party tcp broker to establish p2p-like connections when the reception caller is not publicly reachable?

I will not go into too much details, since I do not know what you will think, but my idea was some kind of TCP middleman on a public IP interface, similar to socks, that would just help establish and relay the traffic between two hosts, regardless of their masquerading state, etc.

Is this a good idea, or is this just me being misinformed or targeting a problem that isn't there?

--
Sylvain Fourmanoit <syfou users sourceforge net>

I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.