[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Lowering cpu load during fullscreen

Hi all,

I have found a big cpu eater in the fullscreen code of gnomemeeting,
SDL_DisplayFormat is really slow. I have created some code which converts the
image data and copies it directly to the SDL surface. This code is 4 to 6
(depending on CPU type) times as fast as the existing code, so on my Duron
700 cpu usage during fullscreen (qcif scaled to 640x480) goes down from 70%
to 35% (of which 10% are other processes).

The code is tested on Linux x86 with display depth 16 and 32 bits, 24 bits
should work, too. There may be problems with big endian, but this should be
fixable easily.

The code can be downloaded from
http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/gnomemeeting/conversion.tar.bz2

A graphic showing the difference can be found here:
http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/gnomemeeting/cpuload.png

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Kastanienweg 6 - Zimmer 1206  /  52074 Aachen
mailto:lurch gmx li  http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/