[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Fwd: 2.6 Kernel problems wrt GnomeMeeting

FYI, this mail has been sent to Robert Love  :

--- Message d'origine ---
Date: 1/30/2004
De: "Damien Sandras" <dsandras seconix com>
Sujet: 2.6 Kernel problems wrt GnomeMeeting

Hello Robert,

I hope you are going well. I'm emailing you because we have a problem
with GnomeMeeting and OpenH323/PWLib on kernel 2.6 and we would like to
have some help.  I planned to released GnomeMeeting 1.00 with GNOME 2.6,
but it seems it won't be done as we have those unexpected 2.6 problems.

When you are using GnomeMeeting on kernel 2.4, you have no problems. But
when using it on kernel 2.6, the video becomes very slow, the packets
loss increases and the sound becomes stuttered as soon as a process is
taking 100% of CPU a long time enough. If the time is very short, that
is acceptable.

We have been told that it was because of some sched_yield calls, but even
after having removed them, the problem remains and GnomeMeeting is
unusable on constantly high CPU load. We tried with and without the
preemptive kernel patch.

Is it possible for you to help with that problem? What can be the cause?
Is there a solution?

Thanks,

Damien

PS: we have packages for many distributions on snapshots.seconix.com.
Some of them are still using the sched_yield, but removing it doesn't
improve things anyway. Some people who reported that simply opening a
terminal breaks the audio had the problem fixed with the sched_yield's
removed, but a constant CPU load continues to lead to a broken
GnomeMeeting.