Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Make the address of the public IP detector configurable

Hi Damien,

Am Mo, den 26.01.2004 schrieb Damien Sandras um 15:48:
> Answering to myself : forwarders are not really needed in my case as the
> DNS is not used for anything else than resolving my own domains.

forwarders are for outgoing, not for incoming queries.

> Le 26/1/2004, "Damien Sandras" <dsandras seconix com> a écrit:
>
> >>if you fear that you need as much performance - which you will loose
> >>when using DNS-lookups - your DNS is broken anyway (see "forwarders" for
> >>named.conf).
> >>

> >I don't understand your sentence.

It means: usually DNS should be fast enough to not be relevant compared
to connecting to direct IP. If howsoever your DNS lookup does take too
long, you might be more lucky using
a) a better DNS server (like a one closer to you) - this is for most
dialup users who query a DNS through half the internet instead of their
local ISP's DNS server
b) add a "forwarder" entry to a large DNS server near to you as that
host has better caching for the root DNS zone and the common TLDs. Thus
lookup through a busy forwarder DNS will be faster as there's less to
queries for that host to do.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian