Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] [PRE-PATCH] private struct _GmTextChat

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:09:05 +0100
PUYDT Julien <julien puydt laposte net> wrote:

..deleted

> But notice that doing a:
> chat = new thingie ();
> then later on:
> oh_please_init_that (chat);
> is dirty! It really should be:
> chat = get_me_a_new_one_please_thanks ();

I disagree.

There are often good reasons why it is necessary to create the object,
and then initialise it explicitly, because there are significant
limitations on what can be done in a C++ constructor. I am not sure if
these apply in this case, but it worth realising that this may true.

..deleted

> That's the reason I prefer going through the ml than having a cvs
> account ;-)

I have to remark on this comment, because I have been told the same
thing when I was able to offer CVS privileges to OpenH323 developers.

You (or anyone else) should seriously consider accepting CVS write
privileges if Damien offers them to you, as that means he has considered
that you are good enough to be a serious contributor to the project. By
taking on this responsibility, you free up Damien to do other stuff that
only he can do, like coding new features or dealing with other questions.
Yes, that may mean more work for you and more responsibility for you,
and it may also mean that sometimes you will get something wrong and
people will say nasty things about you, but that may be the price of
helping GM to advance more quickly.

As someone who runs a project myself, I offer CVS write privileges as
soon as I think a regular contributor can handle the responsibility.
While it is certainly less work for other people to supply their patches
by email, it means more work for me as I then have to keep a checked out
copy of the code, I have to merge the changes with the code in the CVS,
I then have to write up the change log, and I have to deal with the
problems that arise. All of this is far more work than fixing up the
occasional mistake a person may make. And the beauty of CVS is that
mistakes can always be backed out :)

Something to think about.

  Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs postincrement com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 ICQ: #86852844          MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 GnuPG Public Key:  http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt
 Blog:              http://www.southeren.com/blog/