[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] GnomeMeeting and the ALSA DMIX plugin

Hello,

Several of you have asked if it was possible one day to listen to music
while doing videoconferencing despite the fact that GnomeMeeting didn't
support sound daemons.

Yes, it is possible to do it by configuring your sound programs to use a
DMIX output instead of the classical output. You can modify your ALSA
configuration to choose what device to use for the DMIX plugin that will
mix the sound streams together. You can also choose the sample rate that
should be used by DMIX, that way if xmms outputs 44.1kHz and
GnomeMeeting outputs 8kHz, there will be a conversion to the choosen
sample rate.

Jonita recently bought me an USB headset of very good quality, but that
only worked in Stereo and not in Mono. The result with GnomeMeeting is
sound in only one of the speakers. The solution was to use the DMIX
output in GnomeMeeting, and to configure it at the ALSA level to use my
headset (ie the second sound device) and to do that in Stereo.

Here is my ~/.asoundrc that permits to achieve this :
pcm.dmix {
        @args [ SLAVE FORMAT RATE ]
        @args.SLAVE {
                type string
                default "hw:1,0"
        }
        @args.FORMAT {
                type string
                default S16_LE
        }
        @args.RATE {
                type integer
                default 44100
        }
        type dmix
        ipc_key 5678293
        ipc_key_add_uid yes
        slave {
                pcm $SLAVE
                format $FORMAT
                rate $RATE
        }
}

You can see that I'm telling to ALSA that DMIX is my second soundcard
(hw:1,0, the first one is hw:0,0), and to use it in Stereo S16_LE,
44.1kHz.

I can now have GnomeMeeting working with my headset in stereo. I also
configured xmms to use plug:dmix as output device. That way I can listen
to music while receiving calls.

Don't forget to restart ALSA after having changed .asoundrc and enjoy
the power of GnomeMeeting with DMIX.

If you have bad quality output using DMIX, try to change the samplerate
to something your card better supports.
//\     FOSDEM:  http://www.fosdem.org
v_/_