Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll: Is GnomeMeeting ready for 1.00

Hello,

Le jeu 12/06/2003 à 16:27, Kenneth R. van Wyk a écrit :
> Damien,
>
> Interesting poll (and results).  Since you asked...
>
> I am a big fan of GnomeMeeting and would love to see it continue to succeed.
> But, I voted no to a version 1.0.  Here's why:
>
> There have been numerous reports of video dropping mid-session, including an
> extensive dialog of my own, and another one earlier this week.  I've searched
> the archives and have found at least 5 of these threads, and none of them was
> ever really publicly resolved, including my own.  I did run the debug that
> you asked for; I did set up port forwarding on my Linksys router and IP
> masquerading in Gnomemeeting; I did everything that you suggested and the
> problem remains.  Sometimes sessions work fine, and sometimes video gets
> dropped between 1 and 5 minutes into the session.  Much as I hate using
> Windoze, Netmeeting works fine on the same LAN that GnomeMeeting doesn't
> consistently work fine on for me, so that's what I've reverted to for my VTC
> meetings with friends and clients.
>
> I would _vastly_ prefer to use GnomeMeeting and be able to be truly a 100%
> Penguin shop, but I still find myself using MS from time to time, such as for
> Netmeeting.  I hate it, but I'm not forced to for reliability.
>
> I wish you and your project nothing but success and will continue to try out
> every new release as it becomes available, but I (for one) don't feel that
> GnomeMeeting is ready for "prime time".  I hope that that changes.  Finally,
> I'll add here that I'm available and happy to test any fixes to this (or
> other) issues any time.

Many of these threads have been resolved offline thanks to the level 3
debug outputs and here are the results :
- Some PolyCom units do not work fine with GnomeMeeting due to their
non-support of some data GM is using in H.261. Newer versions of PolyCom
units work fine.
- Some users were pushing the video quality, bandwidth and frame rate to
their maximum, that leads to a big packets loss, and to a disconnection
or video data loss.
- Some other users had a misconfigured firewall.

The problem 1 was never fixed, there was somebody working on it, but I
think we got no result.

If I remember correctly, your problem was quite different, at some
point, the socket became unavailable, and no data could be read from
that socket, the result was a closure of the video channel which seems
logical to me as no data can be read anymore from the socket.

I did ask you to try without the linksys router, but I don't remember
what was the result.

You can alternatively send me again a level 3 debug output, to see if
the problem is still the same.

That bug won't probably be fixed anyway for several reasons :

1) It happens in OpenH323, not in GnomeMeeting (but Im willing to fix it
there if we can prove it is a bug in OpenH323 which I doubt)

2) It doesn't happen for me, or for any of the developers or
professional users, so we are unable to fix something we can not
reproduce.

3) I'm not even sure it is a bug, I continue to think all those effects
(except the PolyCom one) are due to a misconfiguration on the user's
machine.

I'm waiting for your debug 3 output to see if the socket problem is
still the same. If it is, the only thing you can do is try to determine
why it happens. Once it is determined, we can think of a solution or of
a fix, if it happens to be a bug.
--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\	FOSDEM 2003:  http://www.fosdem.org