[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Problems building the latest sources in Debian Sid

Hello there,

After monitoring this mailing list for the previous days I have decided
to try out the latest (CVS) sources of GnomeMeeting.

I downloaded the CVS sources yesterday night at around midnight GMT.

Here is the list of problems that I found and the workarounds that
allowed me to continue.

1.   Compiling gnomemeeting alone (based on Debian Sid packets for the
     rest of the components) doesn't seem to work. ./autogen.sh
     works perfectly and detects the headers and libs of openh323 and
     ptlib.   But shortly after starting, when compiling the file
     callbacks.cpp I get the following chain of errors:

In file included from /usr/include/ptlib/contain.h:222,
                 from /usr/include/ptlib.h:139,
                 from common.h:45,
                 from ldap_window.h:43,
                 from callbacks.cpp:42:
/usr/include/ptlib/object.h:585: error: error sintáctico before `(' token
/usr/include/ptlib/object.h:1201: error: `BOOL' declared as a `virtual' field
/usr/include/ptlib/object.h:1201: error: error sintáctico before `(' token
.... (and continues for quite long on array.h and other files).

For info the version of pwlib at Sid at this moment is:
	ii  libpt-1.5.2               1.5.2-2
	ii  libpt-dev                 1.5.2-2

WORKAROUND:
To overcome this I choose to remove the Debian libpt packages and work
also with CVS versions of libpt and libh323.  So I start compiling pwlib.

2.   The output of ./configure at pwlib shows me the message:

configure: WARNING: linux/videodev.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: linux/videodev.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: linux/videodev.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf gnu org  ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##

	and finishes with

configure: error: /bin/sh ./configure failed for plugins

Some investigation in config.log reveals that the problem is a conflict
in the include file /usr/include/linux/videodev2.h that includes timer.h
from the Linux kernel while other files include the GNU standard timer.h.

WORKAROUND
I manually modify /usr/include/linux/videodev2.h to do the GNU includes
and restart the ./configure.  However I don't know if I create other
problems with this...

3.    I have some problems in the make install of pwlib when it tries
      to copy files to non-existent directories.

WORKAROUND
I modify the Makefile (noting that this modification will disappear
with the next call to ./configure) defining PWLIB to include the
prefix /usr/local and the name pwlib.

4.     libh323 compiles and installs correctly.

5.     gnomemeeting compiles correctly after indicating manually the
       location of pwlib and openh323 libs and includes.

6.     I start-up GnomeMeeting and I cannot activate my Quicknet
       card.  I see a lot of messages "Quicknet FIXME" in the console.

I don't know if this problem may come from the incorrect location of
the libraries however this goes over my competences :).

Now I have rolled back, I keep in tar balls the directories of the
compilations (right after the make install).  I did some clean-up and
re-installed the Debian Standard packages.

Everything goes back to normal but without the soundevents and other
additions.

Thanks to all of you that have been able to read this email until the
end :).

Regards,

	Miguel Telleria

--
|     (O-O)
 Miguel TELLERIA DE ESTEBAN               Personal Homepage:
 Email: Miguel at mtelleria.com           http://www.mtelleria.com

 Miembro de http://www.linuca.org         Tel home: +32 2 280 1614
 Membre de  http://www.bxlug.be           GSM:      +32 497 038804