Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] GNOME url-handler entries

On Pre , 2003-12-05 at 09:46, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey there,
> 	Just to let you know I've added evolution and gnomemeeting as
> url-handlers for mailto: and callto: in gnome-vfs.
>
> 	I presume that's okay, but I thought I'd let ye know. Let me know if
> I've messed up something :)

Aside from them being somewhere other than the application that they are
set to, and multiple applications being unable to register as a handler
of "foo:", and the fact that I hate having them be gconf keys for those
2 very reasons, along with the fact that there are more than 3 ways to
configure the "http[s]:" handler(s), I guess it is ok. There is also the
bounty for doing default mailto: handler stuff in evolution. You might
want to patch gnome-vfs to point webcal: at the http module also, and
add a webcal: URI handler tree to gconf, and point it at evolution once
it handles "evolution webcal://foo.com/summary.ics" or such.

I would much prefer that URI handlers were registered through the mime
types system, and the types of URI schemes supported by an application
could be queried dynamically, since if your application uses some
modular method of supporting URI schemes, such as gnome-vfs, the types
of URI schemes your application supports, would change when modules were
added or removed.

-- dobey