Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] New feature discussion

Le lun 16/12/2002 à 17:48, Damien Sandras a écrit :
> OpenH323 CVS provides a new feature in CVS (that prevents GM to compile)
> that permits to dynamically adapt the FPS and the transmitted video
> quality between to limits to obtain a given upload speed.
>
> However, I would like to let to the user the possibility to still use
> the old design : if I want constant 5 FPS with quality 90% for example.
>
> Here is the design I propose in the "Video Codecs" settings:
>

> ----General Settings------------------
> [x] Enable video transmission
> --------------------------------------
>

> ----Static Video codec settings-------
> [X] Enable FPS Limitation
> FPS Limit: 5
> Transmitted video quality: 50
> Received video quality: 50
> Background blocks: 2
> --------------------------------------
>
> ----Dynamic Video Codec settings------
> Maximum bandwidth: 5
> FPS Limit: 5 to 10
> Transmitted video quality: 60 to 80
> [X] Enable bandwidth limitation
> --------------------------------------
>

> Of course, following the FPS limits that you put and following the
> transmitted video quality you choose, it can be possible, or impossible
> to reach the given bandwidth but the algorithm will do its best to reach
> it (best-effort).
>
> There are problems in this schema:
> - if you enable bandwidth limitation, changing the FPS limit in "Static
> Video Settings doesn't make sense anymore". People could try to change
> it there without any effect and wonder why.
> - Settings in Dynamic Video Settings are a bit redondant, you see twice
> FPS and transmitted video settings, that can be misleading.
>
> Problems go away if we *ALWAYS* allow video bandwidth limitation and if
> we don't allow anymore to have a static FPS and a static quality.
>
> My question is:
> - if we provide good limits for FPS and quality
> - if we provide good upload values for the bandwidth
> Is it still useful to allow the user to choose a static FPS and a static
> quality in an easy way? It bothers me to remove that possibility, but I
> think that keeping static things when you can simply say "I can only
> upload at 5kb/s", but "I want to have between 1 and 3 FPS" and "with a
> quality between 90 and 95%" is non-sense.
>
> => I propose to go for the entirely dynamic thing and you?
why not put one part in unsensitive mode regarding what we chose ?
i mean if you select static way, put dynamic in unsensitive mode, and if
you chose the dynamic way put static way in unsensitive mode, no ?

--
ALPHONSO Fabrice <fabrice alphonso dyndns org>