Re: [Fwd: RFP: Keyboard Configuration Registry over dbus]

Hello Rodrigo,

and how will the DBUS interface look like? That is, will it send over
the bus the whole XML file?
Well, this is a very good question. Let me explain.
There are two relatively separate tasks, as far as keyboard concerned:
- configuration (gnome-keyboard-properties capplet)
- indication (gnome-keyboard-indicator applet and any other app which
would need to indicate the current status)

For the configuration purposes, we really need entire XML - that is
why I am going to leave g-k-p as it is - loading XML and working with
it locally. g-k-p lifetime is short, people run it very unfrequently,
so I do not think that making dbus interface very complex would be
adjusted by the potential benefits.

But for the indication purposes, you need only several strings - the
descriptions of the currently loaded layouts. So at this point, I plan
only one function, returning 4 arrays of strings (short/long
descriptions or layouts/variants). This should be enough for the
applet and screensaver and any other indication purposes.

Does this make sense to you?

this is probably the best option. We already are using bonobo for the
activation, so we could replace that with DBUS and add the needed
interface.
OK, I don't mind.

This way, I don't think we'll use more RAM than what we use now.
Well, g-s-d will keep the parsed XML in memory - which will definitely
take some RAM.

Cheers,

Sergey