Re: Preferred Applications revisited

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 19:43 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
[...]
> - the current code use a static list of applications. Does somebody know
> if there there already was some discussion about using desktop file for
> that? Like epiphany using "Feature: web_browser" or "Feature:
> text_editor" for gedit by example? That would make possible to list the
> available Browser/Music Player/Editor/... according to what you have
> installed.

Hi,
This solution is quite interesting, but if we go for .desktop files
users will not be able to handle anymore their mail links with mutt, or
web links with lynx/links. All these applications haven't a .desktop
file installed. The new applet will use an XML file, it is not as
versatile as dynamic application discovering, but it should be easier to
modify than a data structure hardcoded inside source files.

Ciao,

Luca