thoughts on gnomecc

Hi,

I want to do the "control panel folder in Nautilus" and "capplets are
standalone" thing against stable - it appears to me that the best way
to do that is to create an extra module (control-center-hacked or
something) which implements a different different-toplevel-per-panel
control-center shell, and a gnome-vfs module for the capplets.
I don't think any changes to control-center core are required for
this, but I could be wrong.

This isn't something that we'd release in official GNOME I don't
think, unless we want to do a 1.4.1 and do QA on it and get some
agreement.

However I don't want to be hosed moving to GNOME 2.

Is the current control center HEAD intended to be a prototype or the
real thing? I have to say I don't see the value of having a configurable
control center view - let's just pick one!

My personal opinion is that a menu in the foot menu and a folder in
Nautilus is good enough, but if we also have the navigator shell I
guess I'd say:

 - the icon list is same as Nautilus, so no point
 - the tree view confuses people and looks ugly
 - so use the HTML view for the shell

I'd like to have the official GNOME 2 control center configurable in
such a way that the Nautilus control panel folder works fine, without
having to pop up the shell - I guess this should be pretty easy.

Havoc