Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Building XST and gnome-control-center.

On 09 Jul 2001 14:19:51 +0200, Tambet Ingo wrote:
> On 07 Jul 2001 19:00:21 -0400, Bradford Hovinen wrote:
> > FYI: Here are the additional dependencies you will need to have to
> > compile XST:
> >
> > - libtool 1.4 (GNU ftp server)
> > - pkg-config 0.7.0 (http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/)
> > - Capplet library from GNOME CVS HEAD (module libcapplet)
> > - Bonobo configuration moniker from GNOME CVS HEAD (module bonobo-conf)
> > - GNOME Control Center from GNOME CVS HEAD (module gnome-control-center)
> >
> > As Chema mentioned, if you have any trouble building anything, please
> > let us know, either on setup-tool-hackers, gnomecc-list, or the #xst
> > channel on IRC.
> >
> > The libcapplet dependency will be dropped just as soon as we have
> > finished refactoring all the capplets. control-center-plus will still
> > depend on it, though.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to just add --without-archiver flag to XST
> configure? How do we make new releases? Require everything from cvs? How
> about red-carpet?

We are going to coordinate releases of the control center and XST, and
released versions of the control center shall depend only on released
versions of bonobo-conf.

> And, since archiver is removed from XST, why do we need to depend on
> these things at all? CVS module ximian-setup-tools doesn't require
> anything from archiver (nor bonobo-conf, gnomecc, crapplets, etc...).
> CVS module setup-tools-backends (wouldn't 'setup-tool-backends' be
> better name?) uses conditionally archiver.

The XST frontends *do* depend on the archiver. The XML archiving has
been moved from the backends to the frontends.

> Since I have only one machine to work on, I really don't want to have
> everything from cvs installed cause I know what cvs "quality" means. I'd
> rather do my work on stable machine.

Use a different install prefix, as I do.