Re: xscreensaver capplet.

On 01 Aug 2001 12:07:11 -0700, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> Chema Celorio wrote:
> >
> > I think we want a different program. There are going to be a lot of
> > things that we don't agree on, I can't expect you to agree on every
> > detail on how we believe that this should be done and v.s. I really
> > don't want to spend long threads discussing technical details trying
> > to reach an agreement. I don't have the energy nor the time to do so.
> > The reason is simple, it is going to be hard for us to agree on
> > everything [...]
>
> This is what we call "compromise".  It takes time and effort, but
> the end result is a good one: one program instead of two, and lack
> of duplication of effort.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think one program is better than two,
in this case. That is why i don't belive the time and effort are worth
the benefit.

> Forks are bad, mmmkay?

Hmm. Some forks are bad, yes. Not all of them though.

> I am willing to compromise in many areas to reach this goal.
>
> So far, your idea of compromise seems to be, "we'll just go work
> on our fork in our own way and ignore yours entirely."

Let me just point out that :
- I dind't forked the code
- I didn't even knew what linux was when the first capplet was written

I am here to improve the control-center, and that is my first priority.
Please understand my priorities. I don't see the user benefit of droping
the capplet, in fact i think this is the other way arround. It might be
a benefit for technical oriented users, but I don't take care of their
needs, they can hack arround the limitations.

Now that does not mean that I don't want to improve the relationship of
both projects, that is why i replied to your first mail. I want to improve
the current situation provided that the benefits outweight the effort.

> If that's going to be your attitude, then I must ask that you not
> ship my program, xscreensaver, with GNOME.

I don't ship GNOME. I write code, licensed under the GPL and upload it to
ftp servers. Other people download, bundle and ship that code. I can't stop
them from shipping xscreensaver unless i find a better screensaver to
replace it. You should not license your code under a Free Software license
if you want to control what gets shipped and how your code is used.

> Because I've done the fork thing before, and it sucks, and I'm not
> doing it again.

I dind't knew that the capplet was a fork of your code. I just found out
about it.

regards,
Chema