ANNOUNCE: new gnome-filer maintainer

All,

Near the end of last year I got permission from Dr. Mike of Rhad Labs to
become the active maintainer for the gnome-filer project.  I had a
vision that Gnome-filer could not only become the de-facto standard
database front-end development tool, but could be a great general
purpose multi-language IDE for developing awesome next-generation Gnome
applications.  Over the past nine months myself and Tony Taylor
<tonyt@ptialaska.net> have started to make strides toward making this
vision become a reality.

Yesterday I received and accepted an offer to teach in the Department of
Computer Technology at Purdue University.  Since I now have less than
three (3) weeks to prepare to teach a semester-long course I have to
step down as the active maintainer for gnome-filer.

Fortunately for gnome-filer, Tony has proven himself to be a great
programmer with good ideas.  He has accepted my invitation for him to
replace me as the gnome-filer maintainer at least for this semester and
probably for the school year.  I will remain active as an idea
consultant to the project, but will be unable to do any coding for the
forseeable future.

At the beginning of any open source project, you almost inevitably wind
up doing cathedral mode development with a few core developers until you
have something reasonably workable that realizes some of your vision's
original promise.  Gnome-filer is still in this stage, but now could use
an additional developer or two.  (It's a lot more fun to hack when you
have someone to discuss your ideas with.)  If anyone is interested, you
should `cvs checkout gnome-filer` and read the TODO file to see if your
vision jibes substantially with gnome-filer's.  If so, then start
sending Tony patches...

I wish Tony well and am confident that in his hands gnome-filer will
continue to prosper and grow.

I have already unsubscribed from all but the gnome-announce list, so
please copy me explicitly on any followups.

Regards,

Dave Orme

--                               david@coconut-palm-software.com
David Orme                  http://www.coconut-palm-software.com

"I haven't lost my mind--it's just backed up on tape somewhere."