Re: Gamin website

On 23/03/06 15:06, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>>If you want to leave the content type as text/html (e.g. so that
>>internet explorer can still view the page), you might be able to put
>>"AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1" in the .htaccess file instead.
>>

>  WTF ...
>
>gamin/index.html starts with:
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
>  <head>
>
>How can it get the charset wrong ????
>I'm removing the .htaccess ! If there is still an encoding problem, raise a
>bug for the browser being used, clearly it should be detected correctly.

There is no web browser bugs involved here (other than internet explorer
not supporting application/xhtml+xml).

Your pages had the text/html mime type before.  The "AddDefaultCharset"
header is in use on www.gnome.org to set the default encoding to UTF-8.
This meant that your pages were being served with the
"text/html;charset=utf-8" media type.

When the encoding is specified in the headers, it overrides the encoding
set inside the document (the same goes for text/xml).

If you set "AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1" in your .htaccess file then
the files would be served as "text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1", which would
solve the encoding problem.

James.