Re: List of GNOME applications

Quim Gil wrote:

>Do we want to have an official list of GNOME applications maintained by
>their respective developers in the next version of gnome.org?
>
>Currently we are leaving this (key) task to gnomefiles.org, although
>this website is no making distinction between official and unnofficial
>GNOME software. Apparently GNOME has other concerns but we are not
>offering any alternatve ourselves.
>
>I was reading Ross Burton's blog entry about "Why I Don't Use
>GnomeFiles"?
>http://www.burtonini.com/blog//computers/gnomefiles-2006-02-13-12-40
>
>Having a look at the planned structure for the revamped wgo at
>http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb#head-414ca48c4650bea820c5caabf3a9c7bac9fc7878
>there is a "Products" page under the "About" section:
>
>- Products (a sane list of the main projects, seperated into
>Applications, Desktop, and Libraries.)
>
>and no mention to GNOME applications under the Download section.
>
>although under Community there is a
>
>|- Get more apps
>     -> gnomefiles.org
>
>Shouldn't we give more relevance to the official GNOME applications?

If you want a way to aggregate information about various apps, it might
be worth considering the DOAP project description format:
    http://usefulinc.com/doap

Then it would be a matter of collecting references to those files, and
occasionally pinging them to find the current version, web page,
download URL, etc.

James.