Reworked Website?

Hello,

On Mo, 2005-09-26 at 11:15 +1000, Hugh Buzacott wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean with the last paragraph; do you mean the blue
> works well or the other colours of the site do not work well.

I was a bit taken aback by the orange, but the biggest problem with the
colours is probably that they are not from the same palette. (the
grey/blue at the top is from a pastel-like palette, the orange is from a
warm palette and the blue in the icons use some very saturated colours.)

> A 'teaser' image would be good, but what does the teaser image have in it?
> What message would we convey in the 'teaser' image?

Someone's got to come up with a good and short message. Choose some
simple and straight facts about the product, like

- Stable
- Simple
- Free
- Open Source
- Pretty
- Developer's paradise
- Multi platform
- Smart behaviour
- ...

Select one or two that you want to stand out the most and build your
phrase out of that, or even just stick with the word as a phrase - it
doesn't have to be a complete sentence. There are a couple of strategies
for building your brand on the web, it's worth some research.

>  How often do we change
> it (Microsoft and Apple change the images on their homepages regularly; do
> we have the resources?)?

I think we do, we have been switching the images on the homepage for
quite a while now.

> We are trying to work the text into as little as possible (I had not
looked
> at either Microsoft's or Apple's website and now I see that they have
almost
> no text (in Apple's case none other than the headlines and some legal
> ramblings down the bottom)).
>
> The only problem with the images at 'debain.org/stuff/gnomeorg.png' is
that
> the images seem irrelevant, yes it looks good but if I go to Gnome.org do
> want to have a look at the release notes what do you expect me to look
for;
> a picture of a flower?

Have we contacted our friends at RedHat, Novell, Sun, Ubuntu,
Nokia, ...? All of those companies use GNOME products, and they also
have marketing departments. Surely they can make some resources
(professional photography) available that fit into the right context.
Once we have decided what context exactly we are looking for, we could
involve them.

We can also send a shout out to our GNOME photo geeks asking for
suitable photos, though I am not sure what is the right place for
sending a call and have it heard.

-Samuel