Re: Fixing pango.org

On 9/3/05, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:>
> OK, I went ahead and took a stab at doing this - the results can now
> be seen at:
>
>   http://wiki.pango.org/
>
> (If you already have an account, you'll need to go to UserPreferences
> and manually switch your theme to 'pango'). The theme is basically
> a mash-together of the standard 'modern' and 'rightsidebar' themes,
> decluttered as much as possible.
>
> The page only has the "editbar" if you are logged in, so you may
> want to try logging out to see what the effect is without it.
>
> I think it might make sense to go even further and remove the search
> entry - there just isn't enough content on the site to make search
> that interesting, and I'm not sure that will ever change.
> (The search isn't going to work for the "Manual" section which is the
> most interesting section to search.) But the search entry does make
> the top of the page look more balanced.
>
> The page width should probably also be limited; it wraps at about 130
> columns on my screen, which is too wide. It would be better to just have
> white space at the right side of the page.
>
> I'm pretty happy with the results -- with the small amount of
> content I have added, its pretty close to the point of being better
> than the current www.pango.org (which says more about the current
> www.pango.org really.) The theme is certainly bland, but mostly
> harmless.
>
> Going forward
>
>   - It would be cool if people wanted to fill out the Script Gallery
>     section some more.
>
>   - Feel free to add any content that seems appropriate to the site;
>     a section of links to other similar systems, pages about your
>     plans to improve Pango, etc. If you want stuff added to the
>     standard set of navigation links, let me know. (Modifying that
>     requires editing wikiconfig.py, so can't be done through the
>     web interface.)
>
>   - If someone (Tom, say) wants to take over theme maintenance, I'd
>     be happy to give them the files as I have them now, and/or get
>     them an account on www.gnome.org where they could update the
>     theme directly.
>
> Barring any major feedback, I'll probably switch www.pango.org
> over some time next week.

Okay, sorry I didn't get back to you last week. Broken finger and
various other excuses...

I think you should go ahead and move the wiki to the live site, it can
only serve to help and encourage people to contribute to the content.
The wiki content is better than the live content anyways.  A link to
the old site would be helpful though, until we are sure everything of
use is migrated.

As far as the theme goes I'd be happy to improve/tweak/maintain it.
Giving me some sort of access to the server would probably be best so
I don't have to bother anyone else to fi little things.

Regards,
-Tom