Re: FAQ for GNOME mailman homepage

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 16:49 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 02:16 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Ross Golder">
> >
> > > http://www.gnome.org/~rossg/mail.gnome.org-index.html
> > >
> > > Any comments before I press the big red commit button?
> >
> > Perhaps use the gnome.org layout and www.gnome.org/default.css? Will you be
> > putting this in mail-web, to match the other web related CVS modules, or is
> > there an existing module for this?

OK, I've stolen a load of HTML from the GNOME 2.10 page to make it look
more GNOMEy. There's an existing module for this page, currently in a
seperate CVSROOT (/cvs/websites), although I will probably move it
into /cvs/gnome at some point.

> You should probably mention post-only, which lets users of other gnome
> lists skip moderation.

I'm not so sure mentioning this is such a great idea. I don't like the
post-only patch because it means we have a list of addresses which can
post to all the lists (instead of just those they're subscribed to).

I'm just dreading the day that spammers start to realise that they can
use data harvested from the mailman list archives to forge spam to
mailing lists using sender addresses that are obviously genuine list
subscribers (maybe even use subjects from the archived posts to confuse
moderators). When that day comes, life as a mailman manager and list
moderator will become a lot harder :(

Advertising 'post-only' will just make it even more obvious that it's
possible, and will promise a way to spam all the lists in one go,
bypassing the moderator mechanism completely. Also, it'll only lead to a
flood of requests for people thinking they're important enough to be on
post-only. Can't we just keep 'post-only' word-of-mouth for now, and
just mention it to people who look like they might find it useful? :)

--
Ross