Re: Website work

Dave Neary wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of the things that came out of GUADEC was that the website needs
> some work. Over at the marketing team, a couple of people are working
> on a checklist of things to do so that we can carve this up into
> microtasks, making the job a little less daunting.
>
> It would be great to get people from this list involved over there.
>
> I am under the impression that the webhackers group is more or less in
> maintenance mode (adding press releases, ensuring that there are no
> dead links, etc) - is that unfair? It seems like at the moment the
> momentum to generate new content (and a few graphical designers
> interested in the look) are over at the marketing list.

There have been a few discussions about improvements to the website on
this list, however not many of them have resulted in the changes getting
rolled out.

One of the proposals that was discussed was making the various developer
websites feel more coherent with some shared navigation.  This got as
far as a mockup I put together:
    http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/web-test/developer.html

I also brought up redoing the wiki's skin to address some of the
discoverability problems with the current skin.  This work is here:
    http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/moin/

This stalled because I did the skin for moin 1.3, so live.gnome.org
would need to be migrated to that version before it could be used (the
migration doesn't look like it should be too difficult, but it isn't
something I can test due to the file permissions).

James.