How www.gnome.org is updated from CVS (was: Re: garrrrrrrrrr)

On พ., 2005-07-20 at 00:19 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> Someday, my brothers, we will live in a world where checking in a
> simple subproject website does not require running a webserver on
> one's personal machine first. Gah.
>
> Anyway, I tried to check in a bunch of changes for
> http://gnome.org/projects/nautilus/ but they seem to have failed, and
> no one in IRC at this hour can tell me how to diagnose, much less fix.
> So i'm calling it a night. If someone could fix it or tell me how, I'd
> appreciate it...

Seeing as I just looked into it again, I thought I'd tell you how it
works, so you know what to investigate should there be any more similar
problems.

When you commit a change to gnomeweb-wml, the CVSROOT/loginfo file
triggers a script which sends an e-mail to 'gnomeweb www gnome org'.
This gets picked up by a procmail script which effectively updates
~gnomeweb/TIMESTAMPS/gnomeweb-wml.CVS.

The 'gnomeweb' user has a crontab entry full of lines like the
following:

* * * * * /usr/local/www/gnomeweb/bin/logify cvs-update-www.gnome.org

The logify script basically redirects stdout/stderr to a
~gnomeweb/logs/cvs-update-www.gnome.org.log, and if the command fails
with a non-zero exit, it reports the failure. A few moments ago, this
was set to run *every* minute and the MAILTO was set to
'jdub gnome org' (probably a forgotten temporary measure). I've lowered
this to every five minutes and set the MAILTO (back?) to
'gnome-web-list gnome org', which is probably a better place to send
website build failures. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The 'cvs-update-www.gnome.org' script checks that the
~gnomeweb/TIMESTAMPS/gnomeweb-wml.BUILD timestamp file is later than the
corresponding CVS timestamp file, and if so exits quickly . If not, it
(/updates) it's own working copy of gnomeweb-wml
(~gnomeweb/gnomecvs/gnomeweb-wml) and runs './autogen.sh; make; make
install'. The install target is the Apache document root
(/usr/local/www/gnomeweb-wml/www.gnome.org) for the site.

Most of this stuff works as the 'gnomeweb' user on window, so shouldn't
need root to investigate.

Hope this helps,

--
Ross