Re: Cron <gnomeweb@window> $HOME/bin/logify cvs-update-www.gnome.org

[CC'ing Danilo, since xml2po is his area of expertise]

Luis Villa wrote:

>On 8/29/05, Cron Daemon <root gnome org> wrote:
>

>>Failure running:
>>
>>cvs-update-www.gnome.org
>>
>>Output can be seen at http://www.gnome.org/updatelogs/cvs-update-www.gnome.org.log
>>

>I have no idea what I did to break this, but I'm guessing it is my
>fault. I've fixed some minor XML bugaboos, but that seems not to be
>the problem, so I'm going to sleep and hoping someone else can figure
>it out.

This is the error given at the end of the log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/xml2po", line 743, in ?
    CurrentXmlMode.postProcessXmlTranslation(doc, translationlanguage, outtxt)
  File "/usr/share/xml2po/docbook.py", line 190, in postProcessXmlTranslation
    copy.newChild(None, "holder", holder)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 3187, in newChild
    ret = libxml2mod.xmlNewChild(self._o, ns__o, name, content)
UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

This looks like an error in xml2po.  The default unicode -> str
conversion in Python is to convert to ASCII (this can be changed, but
should not be relied on).

Since the libxml2 bindings are set to accept strings rather than unicode
strings the conversion occurs implicitly.  The fix would be for xml2po
to explicitly encode unicode strings to UTF-8 before passing them to
libxml2.

Fixing this bug in xml2po and installing a new version on
window.gnome.org would fix the problem.

James.