Re: Collected suggestions for index.html changes...

From: "Curtis C. Hovey", Jan 13, 2004 10:21 AM
> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 01:50, Steve Hall wrote:
> >
> > So are we writing pages for search engines or for humans? Sorry,
> > but the title appears as such an afterthought graphically. Indeed
> > it was, as the entire rest of the site attests.
>
> Yes we are. Not writing for search engine is a common mistake. All
> users use search engines to find pages. If the search engine cannot
> understand the page, the user will never find it. The homepage is
> directed to new users who are just discovering GNOME.

  [snip]

> HACKING in gnomeweb-wml contains this priority message:
>
>   - Eliminating EVIDENCE OF EVIL such as images-as-text, font tags,
>   and anything else that doesn't help us shift towards XHTML Strict

I'm obviously not being clear. Below is a screenshot of the current
www.gnome.org web site, in a typically configured Internet Explorer
6.0.28..., on Windows XP, at default font size, at 810x664:

  http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/gnome.org-screenshot.png

Barbaric, eh? I'm not exactly certain of what your definition of
"evil" entails, but mine includes sites like the current gnome.org
front page which are neither flexible or practically implemented.

If this is where our HACKING guidelines or any other rigid adherence
to theoretical guidelines or standards get us, then we've taken a
wrong turn somewhere.

I appear to be a lone dissenter here. Does anyone else care?

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]