Re: Relative paths or absolute paths in links?

Le Lundi 27 octobre 2003, a 22:02, Jeff Waugh a ecrit :
> <quote who="Vincent Untz">
>
> > I'm playing with the new foundation web site branch, fixing some links.
> > We had lots of old links looking like href="http://foundation.gnome.org/";
> > or href="/" or href="../".
> >
> > The first type is clearly wrong.
>
> Not always; in some modules, we're going to have multiple websites, so you
> would want to use explicit domain links in template source (or we'll have to
> get into crazy domain variable stuff, which I don't think we should bother
> with).

Well, if I have no template and juste one website, this type of link is
useless, isn't it? (this is what I have in foundation-web).

> > But I was wondering what is better between the second one and the third
> > one. I changed evilsedhack to do a s,\$HTTP_PREFIX,$ROOT/g and so absolute
> > paths like href="$HTTP_PREFIX/" would be ok.
>
> Cool, though for interest's sake, where did you need to use these kinds of
> links (particularly to $ROOT) in the content area? Would like to avoid that
> where we can.

Nowhere if we use relative links :-) So I won't commit this change.

> > I suppose relative links are clearly recommanded, but I'd like to hear
> > that from someone with some authority :-)
>
> Yes, definitely, 100%, use relative links as much as possible. :-)

Ok, thanks.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas presses.