Re: Web Standards and the new layout

Hello all,

New here. I wanted to add something reagrding this:

<quote>As sighted users, we can very easily ignore blocks of
irrelevancy, such as
the navigation areas on a webpage. We can focus on the content
immediately,
with very little cognitive interruption. Unless of course the content or
navigation areas are exceedingly unclear, but that's a different
problem.

Most screen readers, however, read the entire page top to bottom. So on
site like, say, www.go-mono.com (sorry dudes, it's a good example),
EVERY
PAGE VIEW will result in the screen reader saying, at hundreds of words
per
minute:
</quote>

Could you add different stylesheets for different medias, like this?:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="includes/print.css" type="text/css"
media="print" />

I've used this in the past to display:none; of the nav bars on
printouts, which always looks bad. I remember that you can have media
types of "braille" and "screenreader", and there's some others I can't
quite remember. So, theoretically, you can have the nav bars wherever
it's best. Even cut out ad blocks, if you end up having any. WHile I can
ignore ads naturally, it must be much more difficult when it's being
read to you. And probably even worse in braille.

Does anyone know how well this is supported in screenreaders and the
like?

Ioan Rogers