Re: Validated HTML/CSS

<quote who="digitect mindspring com">

> I think the sidebar-making tile is because there aren't any browsers that
> properly support z-index and PNG transparency.

[ Eh? ]

> msdn.microsoft.com uses an in-line style to accomplish the sidebar. It
> uses just a simple background color instead of a graphic, which I like.
> Lemme see if I can't eliminate our graphic, because the flexibility would
> be nice, as you say, and it would be a bit faster, too.

Cool.

> Yeah, I re-worked the original template so that the stripe is actually an
> element all its own. Whoever makes the background images won't have to
> worry about including it with the same image, which again, gives us some
> more flexibility.

Oh, very nice.

> Frankly, I always liked Joakim's first design better:
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/comp-joakimziegler-02a.htm

Yeah, the colours are great on this one.

> I've been corralling many other images that (I think) are better
> possibilities, so I hope no one is in love with the green hillscape yet.

Heh. I hope you have a few, 'cos there should be a ton of variants
throughout the site. 8)

> Accept that browsers don't support it. (Check out
> http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/ -- I'd be interested in
> knowing if anybody has a browser that tests perfectly here.)

Mozilla has supported this for ages, hasn't it? My nightly that reports
itself as being 0.9.4+ (Gecko/20010818) is perfect. I'll try it on IE6 later
today.

> > There's a bunch of great images I'd like to use for d.g.o on Garrett's
> > site.  He's waaay happy to have his images used, too. :)
>
> Don't know Garrett or his web site. URL?

 -> http://linuxart.com/

Check out these images, which I thought would be way cool for d.g.o
(especially a 'dotplan' or 'road to GNOME 2.0' section):

  http://linuxart.com/photoview.phtml?sid=00oct19-desert&iid=pa191676
  http://linuxart.com/photoview.phtml?sid=00aug27-sunday_drive&iid=p8270321

They're good when we have to crop the interesting bits to the size of the
title bar, too.

Thanks Steve,

  "When's the last time you heard of the police having to intervene at an
                   antiquarian book riot?" - Raph Levien